Sunday, October 12, 2008

Neuschwanstein

So while at Henry's house in Switzerland, I was telling him about my plans for my upcoming travels in Austria and Henry said, "I've never visited Salzburg or Vienna, I'm retiring at the end of the year, and I have two weeks of vacation left. How about if I come with you?" And I said, "Throw in a trip to Munich for Oktoberfest and you've got yourself a deal." So Henry took off of work and I have myself a travel buddy. Perfect. So since we were heading to Munich first, we absolutely had to stop off on the way and see the Schloss Neuschwanstein. It is a HUGE castle in Germany. If you take a look at my pictures, you may notice that it looks a bit familiar. If you've ever been to Disney World, you should recognize it, because this castle was the inspiration for Cinderella's Castle! Isn't that cool?! We arrived in town to find that it was a 40 min. hike up to the castle. But that just wouldn't do. So I called my fairy godmother and we were wisked away up to the castle in a horse drawn carriage! The castle was pretty amazing. The guy who created it definitely lived in a fairy tale world. There was a corridor that led to his bedroom that was designed to look like you were walking through a cave. It was pretty sweet. And he had this really cool bed that had all this woodwork on it and had these big curtains around it, so he could close them and be in his own little cave of a bed. (Matt Preston, you would have loved the cave like bed thing! I think you should get one.) And the ballroom was gorgeous with beautifully painted walls. The castle also had a beautiful view of a really pretty lake. And after the tour of the inside, we hiked around to a bridge that gave us a wonderful view of the castle as well (minus the scaffolding.) I really enjoyed seeing this huge fairytale castle. I couldn't imagine living in a place like that. But if any princes are reading this blog, I would definitely be willing to give it a try.

No comments: