Friday, August 22, 2008

Frankfurt, Germany

Well...here I am! My plane rides were nothing to complain about besides only having gotten about 2.5 hrs of sleep. I realized just what I suspected as soon as I got to Frankfurt: I can`t travel alone! I was completely lost and everyone I asked for help seemed like they would rather break a beer stein over their head than help another pathetic American tourist. I somehow made it to a hostel and then tried to get ahold of my friend, but the mobile phone that I was given for the trip that was supposed to work all over Europe apparently only works in France. I tried to inquire about a phone card at the train station but all I got were blank stares. I also tried to get some info about the trains and how to get to Luxembourg and then to Quimper. But again, felt like I was really inconveniencing these poor people employed by the train station to help people get the correct tickets!!!!!!! I wanted to cry and tell someone how frustrated I was, but there was no one to tell. And it was 2 am in the states so I didn´t really have much of an option. I also feel it necessary to mention that the Z and Y keys on this keyboard are in the opposite places. So I keep tzping things like this and wondering whz thez aren´t coming out correctlz.

Anyway, I calmed down by eating some falafel at a cafe right by my hostel and writing in my journal. I got ahold of my friend on the hostel phone and we are meeting up for dinner. I took a free walking tour of the city and apparently saw all there is to see in Frankfurt. It was quite lovely and we even got some free ice cream!! I haven´t met anyone from the USA yet believe it or not. Lots of Canadians and Australians.

I am pretty bored by myself, so I´m going to see if I can figure out the train schedule tomorrow morning when I get up and head straight to Luxembourg. Maybe I can even take a night train from Lux to France, but I have no idea and I have gotten two different answers so far. I guess I´m learning to be more flexible. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and I will have a nice person helping me figure out what trains to take to get to where I´m going. I will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the statement under about me - "Loves to travel" still ring true?

Things will get better

Anonymous said...

find yourself a phrasebook and when asking for help, try their language first. I found people much more helpful and friendly if you make an effort at their language. Plus, get some sleep and you will feel better! ;)