Sunday, August 31, 2008

Paris, France

I'm in Paris!!!! It's so cool!!! I'm staying with a super nice family in the 16th district. It is about a ten minute walk to the Eiffel Tower and maybe a 15 min. walk to the Arc de Triomphe. I have seen a ton already (stay tuned for pictures.) The amazing mom that I am staying with (three kids under the age of five...need I say more?) and I went for a really long walk the first night I got here. We saw the Eiffel tower glittering with flashing lights and then lighting up the night with an incredible shade of blue. We saw the Grand Palais and the Petit Palais as we walked along the Seine river. We also saw the Eternal Flame; a monument to Princess Di right over the tunnel where she died. Then we walked up to the Arc de Triomphe and I almost got plowed over by a car trying to take a picture of it.

Today I went to church in the Notre Dam Cathedral!!!! How cool is that!!! :-) The singer that led the litergy was amazing! It was great! I didn't understand a word they said, but I sang along anyway and even got to take communion. There were wafers but no wine. I don't know what is up with no wine. I mean this is France!

Okay, now I can't get it to stop typing in italics. Stinkin blogspot! I guess you'll just have to suffer through reading the rest of this like it's a thought in my head.

We went to the Hotel de Ville and walked around by the Cathedral. Then we went for a river boat cruise on the Seine River and saw a ton of stuff!!! It was so cool! Then we walked down to the French Model of the Statue of Liberty. It was really fun. I really enjoyed all the sights and have taken about a million pics of the Eiffel Tower. Tomorrow is my big touring day. I can't wait! There is a lot to see in Paris and it's relatively easy to walk to everything so it's really great! Maybe I'll take a job in Paris... :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marla,
Don't take a job in Paris! then we won't get to see you. Have Fun.
Love,
Mara
(the rest of us agree! Chloe, Liddy, Obi, Tim and Cyndi)

Anonymous said...

Hi Marla,
I miss you! This is Chloe. I will see you when you get back. Get back safely.
Love,
Chloe

Unknown said...

Dont miss the Mona Lisa!!! and the rest of the Luvre for that matter!

Glad you are having a great time.
Miss you and Love you!
Justin

Anonymous said...

Hi Marla!
I finally found the address to your blog so I've had to play catch-up! I'm sorry the first few days didn't go so well for you. As I was reading it, I wanted to give you a big hug, but I couldn't, so I hugged my computer instead. Are monitors supposed to look like an amoeba? :)

I'm so jealous! Why didn't you take me with you????

I'm sure your trip will go much better from here on out. You'll become much more comfortable with getting around and by the time you leave it'll all be old hat.

I met your friend Sarah at church a few weeks ago - thanks for introducing us! :)

Have fun and I'll keep reading!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Marla!

Ah, Paris! What fun I had there, too! Be sure to go to the Latin Quarter and try some of the funky little restaurants. Oh! And look for the gelatto places where they make the ice cream look like a rose right on the cone! Cool (in two ways) and tasty!

Joy

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it here in Paris. Would have taken you around more, but was suffering jet lag and baby/children lag. If you decide you want to spend a couple more days, let me know via facebook or e-mail. Hope the rest of your trip runs smoother than the beginning.

Bernadette :)