Wednesday, September 10, 2008

St.Petersburg, Russia: The first four days

Saturday was an extremely long day of flying. I really don't know why I didn't fly direct. I had to get up at 3:45 am, be at the airport at 4:30, depart at 6:25, fly in the opposite direction of my final destination, sit in the airport in Rome (where I should have been sightseeing) for 3 hours, and then finally arrive in St.Petersburg at 5:30pm, go through customs of course etc etc. All in all over 12 hours of traveling. I think I'll spend the extra $100 next time. (Can you remind me of this experience, Ted?) :-)

Anyway, just so the saga of this around the world experience could continue, they lost my luggage. Go figure! Yeah, I definitely wore the same outfit (sweatpants no less) for about 65 hours. I thought it was so smart of me to just wear the outfit to bed the night before I had to get up at 3:45am. Little did I know, I would be wearing it to bed for two more nights. Needless to say it was a pretty smelly outfit when all was said and done, and I don't plan on wearing those clothes anytime soon. My luggage did reappear on Monday afternoon. Thank goodness!

So far we have walked around downtown St.Petersburg, which is beautiful. We went to the Hermitage and saw some pretty cool stuff. Saw a mummy and the bust of Peter the Great and some Rembrandt and Da Vinci.

We also went to the ballet and saw Swan Lake! It was beautiful. We sat in the balcony at first and then saw that there were seats open in the second row, so we moved down there during intermission and it was amazing. I loved it. Russian ballet is the best!

Yesterday we went to a water park. It was so much fun! They had a ton of slides, including a slide that shot you into a kind of funnel and you twirled around in it a little bit and then went down the hole into a pool of water. I guess I know what my number 2's feel like when they get flushed because it was pretty much like that... was that inappropriate? Sorry. Anyway, moving on. They also had a bunch of Saunas that you could sit in. There were all kinds of them in the styles of different cultures. After you sat in the sauna, you were supposed to jump into a pool of cold water before you went into the next one or back to the water park. It was pretty fun. There was also a Turkish sauna, which was like a steam room. The roof inside was made to look like a starry night sky. It was a pretty cool place. There was also a rock wall that you were supposed to boulder across and if you fell (which I did of course) you landed in a pool of water. Kate and I had a great time there!

Today we are going to Peterhof. It is the mansion estate of Peter the Great and it has a bunch of beautiful fountains and lots of things to see. Should be good! I'll write more about Russia soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We miss you too!